Saturday, March 11, 2006

Our New Arrival

I'm pleased to announce that Hunter William Kuppusamy arrived on March 4, 2006 at 9:55 am. He weighed 9 pounds 8 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long. A big boy! We're all doing fine - sleep deprived but managing it. And, enjoying little Hunter.

Labor and delivery went good. Actually labor was a lot easier than I expected. I'd hear so many horror stories...I was so scared. But, honestly it wasn't horrible. I actually managed to 7 cm on my own here at home. It was only when I got sick that I started to freak out. I didn't know that was part of labor - transition. So, that's when we went to the hospital.

And, of course once I got there I wanted the epi. I would advise anyone and everyone against that! Because you are confined to your bed. And, the use of a cathitar is so unpleasant - especialy after delivery. I thought I'd get the epi to rest for the pushing phase. I don't think I needed that though because I only pushed for 10/20 minutes and his head was crowning. Of course the doctor wasn't there and he ordered PIT to induce contractions...this baby was coming and everyone walked out of the room. It was just me and hubby and baby was COMING fast. I think it was a psychological ploy to slow me down. Anyway, that was miserable.

What I learned was if the ob doesn't have your same birthing goals. Find another one! I think next time I'm going to have a midwife with me. I want to have someone who won't use meds on whim - like to make his/her schedule convenient...spend less time at hospital...etc.

Well, that's the story for now. Enjoy the pics!

0 comments: